Sunday, July 19, 2026

[PHOTOSTORY 4: STRUGGLE] Georgia Southern Student Side Hustles

 By: Chloe Malson

Genevive Bennet ties her apron as she prepares to bake a casserole to sell in her Georgia Southern Group me chat. This is Genevive's current side hustle to bring in some extra money as a student and waitress. 

Genevive reaches into the fridge to get out her cold ingredients. "I try to choose recipes with cheaper ingredients that still taste delicious, but save me some money in the process".

Genevive grabs out a medium Pyrex measuring glass. She is beginning her recipe by cooking a store-bought pack of chicken seasoned rice. 

The recipe first calls for a quarter cup of water. Genevive pours the water into her pan to begin bringing it to a boil.

Genevive pours milk into the pot as per the recipe. "I buy my groceries and milk from food lion because the prices are always discounted there. I love it." 

Genevive slices her butter to use in the next part of her recipe. She is going to melt the butter to mix with some crushed-up club crackers.

Genevive crushes up her crackers in a plastic bag. "This is my favorite casserole my grandma makes. This recipe is a pretty popular seller in the group chat.

Genevive chops up pieces of broccoli that she had steamed in the microwave. "I started my group me chat to sell my food last year, and it has grown well beyond just my friends."

The chopped broccoli goes into a large mixing bowl to be combined with the rest of the ingredients. "I tend to measure with my heart on most ingredients."

Genevive mixes the broccoli with one can of cream of mushroom soup and one can of cream of broccoli soup. "I love how simple this recipe is; it allows me to whip up a batch every few days to sell."

Genevive checks on her rice as it simmers on the stove. She takes it off the heat to let it cool before mixing it into her bowl.

The broccoli and soup mixture is combined with cheese crumbles. "I love this side hustle because I get to do what I love and make money supporting people with my food."

Genevive butters her casserole dish. She is almost ready to combine everything into one dish.

After buttering the dish, Genevive puts in a layer of crumbled crackers. The crackers act as a crust on the bottom of the casserole.

Genevive checks on her rice and takes it off the heat. "Now that the rice is cooler, we can combine it with the broccoli and soup mixture."

The rice and broccoli mixture is being combined in one big bowl. The mixture is now ready to be poured into the pan to bake.

Genevive pours the mixture into the casserole dish. "I will bake this for about 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees."
Genevive tops the dish with her buttered cracker crumbs. "The club crackers are my absolute favorite."
Genevive puts her dish in the oven to bake. She texts the group chat as well to let them know the food will be ready for pickup in the next half hour.

Genevive puts foil on her casserole to keep it warm as she waits for her customers and friends to come by. "Now we wait, and everyone will come by and pick up their casserole."





Blog Archive