By: Kathryne Davis
Mary Matthews is undoing the straps of her foot brace. Matthews has been wearing her brace for 4 weeks after finding out that she has a fracture at the bottom of her ankle.
Mary Matthews is sliding the brace onto her foot. Matthews was diagnosed with Osteoporosis when she was 50 and has been struggling with fractures and joint pain ever since.
Mary Matthews is standing with her boot on after grabbing her cane. Matthews was told at her last doctor's appointment that she will need surgery on her ankle.
Mary Matthews is taking her daily medication. “I have to take my medicine every day in the morning and then again in the evening,” said Matthews.
Mary Matthews is swallowing her medication with her drink in hand. Her favorite drink when taking the medication is ginger ale because some of the pills can cause nausea.
Mary Matthews’ daily medication is sitting in a container which organizes them. “If I am on a lot of medication, I like to use this container, or else I sometimes will forget which ones I have taken that day,” said Matthews.
The wheelchair is folded in the middle of the room. Mary Matthews had to rent a wheelchair to use after her surgery.
Mary Matthew’s calendar is flipped open on the month of July. Matthews has written her surgery date on the calendar to remind herself when it is.
The scans taken during the surgery are laying on the counter. The surgery consisted of an ankle arthroscopy, where the doctor grafted bone from Mary Matthews’ heel and packed it into her ankle to stimulate new growth.
Mary Matthews is looking at the scans from the surgery. The surgery took two hours to complete.
Mary Matthews is flipping through the pages of scans. Matthews had to stay in the hospital for one night before being able to go back home.
Mary Matthews is steering her wheelchair out of the room. Matthews is not allowed to put any pressure on her foot for six weeks.
Mary Matthews is pushing the wheels of the wheelchair. She had to put bandaids on her thumbs to cover the blisters she had gotten from the wheelchair.
Mary Matthews is parking her wheelchair in front of her walker. “I get so tired of sitting, so I like to use the walker to stand and eat my lunch or just to be in a different position,” said Matthews.
Mary Matthews is pushing herself out of the wheelchair and up to the walker. “I haven’t been able to figure out balancing on the scooter yet, so I rely only on the wheelchair and walker to get around,” said Matthews.
Mary Matthews is standing with her walker. A physical therapist comes twice a week to work with her leg and ankle.
Mary Matthews is laying down in the recliner. Her foot has to always be elevated while she is sitting down.
The walker is set up in front of the chair. It is always in close proximity for when she needs to reach it and get up.
The breathing machine sits on the side table. Mary Matthews has to use the breathing machine every few hours to help any trapped air move around.
Mary Matthews is sitting down watching tv. “I have been trying to find some new shows since watching TV is pretty much the only thing I can do right now,” said Matthews.